Tuesday 6 May 2014

Thoughts on the project

This is my thoughts on the project:

At the start of the project, when I was thinking about what I wanted to do I knew that I wanted to do a website. The main reason for this is that most of the projects that I have done this year have been mainly poster work and illustrations and I haven’t really touched on the web making side of things. I knew that making a website would be a good challenge and would give me a push. Thinking about what website I was going to make, was the slightly challenging part. On thinking, using the MS and the society seemed a fairly obvious choice, due to experiencing it first hand with my Mum. However I think I under estimated the size of the project and the challenge that would occur as I progressed through. When I was writing the brief, I decided to aim the site towards a younger audience who perhaps didn’t want to be overwhelmed with a load of information and just wanted enough information with out being too much, however by the end of the project I feel that I haven’t really aimed it towards the age group and instead to a more broad audience who would use the site as the first point of call when wanting to find out basic information.
In terms of research, I feel that I did enough for what my project was about, it helped as well with thinking about the layout of my website. For the other fairly big challenge that occurred was what I built my site in, which was Joomla. This was a massive gamble deciding to use this, I had no experience of it and therefore didn’t know what it could do, which in some respect limited me on the overall design of the site. I’ve learnt a lot though with using it and by the end of the project I felt pretty confident with using Joomla.
I'm happy with the overall result of the site, based on the fact with the little knowledge I had with Joomla, I managed to come up with a clear and easy to use site. However there are elements of the site which I feel could be greatly improved and is something that I am going to come back to and work on because I think if I had more time I could make the right changes and make it better. I under estimated the size of the project. I spent quite a lot of time working out what should and shouldn’t be on the site and then deciding how much content is enough to cover the topics. I think this distracted me from taking into consideration more about the design of the website, which resulted in me not having enough time to address it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment